On 27/09/2005 9:43 PM, "Alex Novakovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>  I have a client using MYOB Account Edge on an eMac using OS10.3.3
>> and a Superdrive.
>> There is a data file which on the HD which can be opened, and when
>> it is copied to a flash drive it can be opened from there.
>> But when I burn a CD I get the message "The file you have chosen is
>> not an Account Edge data file."
>> I burnt a CD of an Appleworks document which opened perfectly,
>> suggesting that the burner is OK.
>> any clues???
>>
>> Peter Bull
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Hi Peter
>
> If I recall correctly, which may be debatable, I think I have had the
> same problem sometime in the past with Win Pc MYOB users (although in
> those cases the message was that the disk is full).  It may boil down
> to the fact that you can't open from the CD because you can't
> subsequently write back to the CD.  Effectively, the CD copy is a
> backup only and can only be accessed if copied back to a HD or flash
> drive or .... first.
>
> I just tried it myself and got the same message.  My data file in Get
> Info says Kind = MYOB data file and Get Info for my backup (which is
> a straight burn of the file, no compression) says Kind = Volume.
>
> I haven't worked this out myself yet, but I suspect that if it is
> possible to format a CD-RW so that it acts like a drive, ie you can
> drag and drop to the CD Drive to copy the data file, then you would
> get the same response as for the flash drive/HD.
>
> Cheers,  Alex

Although I don't know if this will work or not, and I don't have MYOB
installed, I'm going to take a stab it at. (My memory jogged upon reading
this twice) :o)

This sounds like a similar problem one of my clients had with a Quicken
file.

The problem is that when you drag (or backup) the file to a CD, it's
actually treating the file as the folder (or wrapping if you like). And
burning the "contents".
A bit like some of the Applications in OSX when you click on it and "show
package contents" you're actually "looking inside the Application".

I would imagine that if you put the file into a folder then backed up the
folder it would then work. Try that and see how you goes.

Hopefully I didn't confuse the issue more with that poor explanation. :o)
Hey I know what I mean. :o)

Enjoy!

Kind Regards
Daniel