On 21/11/2005, at 7:49 AM, Rick Armstrong wrote:

Running OS9.2.2 on an early model G4 350Mhz with 448Mb Ram, when I insert a
CD or Zip the system freezes,

The freeze can be caused by conflict between 2 extensions .

Looking at Mactracker for your Mac specs it says USB and firewire and
any scsi is via a PCI card.

You need to explore running the Mac with un needed extensions turned off
using the Extension Manager Control Panel ! ? Have you done this before ?

So is the CD Scsi or ATAPI ? Ditto for the Zip which I assume is internal ! ?

Bob

 but shows up after a forced restart
(everything was fine with OS8.6) Sometimes the Zip or CD opens up fine but
not often.