My machine: eMac G4 1.25Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 40Gb Hard disk, 18Gb available. OSX 10.3.9.

For a couple of weeks now my machine has stopped being able to drag across a paragraph, sentence or line to shift, copy or delete.

I cannot drag to trash as the file or folder drops off the pointer and returns to its former position.

I cannot edit a copy of an email that I am forwarding, or shortening when replying to sender.

I cannot drag down from a menu heading to select an item. I can still click on the heading and go down to the item I wish to use fortunately.

Its bugging me. My desktop is covered in saved attachments that I cannot move, and I'm already down to the smallest possible icons.

I've tried the old simple remedies like turning the machine off for a while or overnight to no avail, permissions are OK and I don't have any of the various analyse and repair programs that I read about so often on this site.

I'm virtually house-bound these days, so if there is any simple remedy, all help most welcome.

Thanks all. Laurie - member 234.