Paul,

Just as an anecdotal datum, I can't personally recall every
experiencing the motion-related behaviour you describe, not under any
platform (Mac Classic, Mac OS X, Windows, Sun Solaris, Linux for
intel, etc.) nor with any type of mouse, trackball or trackpad, nor
with ADB, PS/2, USB, Bluetooth, or whatever Sun workstations use.

Where I have had cursor problems, it has been due to mechanical
interference (or from operating in a specific program that tries to do
something "clever"). I am not clear whether you are using optical or
ball mice. if optical, have you considered the surface(s) atop which
the mouse is used? It is possible that some surfaces or artefacts will
confuse the optical detection system.

Your other problem, of clicks failing to register, can be caused by
software, combinations of software, or the computer being "busy" or
focussed in the wrong window. But those tend to manifest in specific
and reproducible situations.