Google Earth was great to use during the Sydney to Hobart as it tracked all the yachts in real time, well with 10 min updates. But I found it very useful.

Google run some FAQ;s, which of course cover the issue of maps and resolution.

I quote the following from http://earth.google.com/faq.html.

"Common questions about Google Earth

1. When were these pictures taken? How often are they updated?
Our images are photographs taken by satellites and aircraft sometime in the last three years. The images in Google Earth are updated on a rolling basis. Click here for more details."

If you want to know about high res images then go to http:// earth.google.com/data.html.

Hope that clears up some queries.

BTW It runs fast on my ibook :D.

Gordon