> From: Robert Howells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> On 18 Jan 2006, at 11:38 AM, Martin Hill wrote:
>> every time we turned the laser on and causing our house's power
>> circuit to trip out every morning at 7am if we left it on overnight! (anyone
>> ever experienced this after installing an RCD in your meter box?
>> Frustrating)
>
> The RCD will trigger if a voltage appears on the earth ....
> So ,  Either you have a poor neutral connection,

Indeed - the electrician who installed the RCD renewed our house's ground
stake and checked out all the neutral connections he could test.  We had to
get rid of our old fridge as it kept tripping the RCD.  We also ripped out
some badly degraded wiring to the pergola lights in the backyard in an
effort to track down RCD-tripping problems.  These Residual Current Devices
can end up causing a lot of expense.  :-(

> or inside the Laserwriter there is a component or wire which is
> touching ground
> or frame  .....   if you understand that better.

Could be - it is just strange that it only happens at 7am-ish in the morning
and not when we have the laser on at any other time of the day.

> Does the laserwriter collect excess toner ?  What does it do with it ?
> Has it " overflowed " to bridge between a component and ground  ?
>
> Anybody experienced bread crumbs in a Toaster doing the same thing ?
>
> If that is what it is , just cleaning the area should clear up the
> problem  !

Hmm - I might have a look and see what it looks like inside.

> AND  what else is supposed to happen at 7am in the morning.... ?
>
> Retic perhaps ?  Electric clock alarm ???     ?

That's the weird thing Bob - when the laserprinter is not on, the RCD
doesn't trip, but if the laser is left on overnight, the RCD trips at
7am-ish.  We did have to change the time the pool pump came on as it would
also trip the RCD at 7am-ish in the morning but not if we turned it on later
in the day or set it to come on at 4am in the morning.

Perhaps it's something to do with the dew point.

It's also strange the wireless basestation dies (no connectivity) when we
turn the laser on (whether the laser is plugged into our LAN or not).
Restarting the basestation gets it working again, so the laser must be
sending a spike through the house's power circuit when it turns on. Very
irritating.

> Well it can be just as simple as that , but maybe not this time ! ???
>
> Bob

Thanks for the suggestions Bob - here's to a little more detective work or a
cheap, well-featured new laser.  :-)

Ciao!

-Mart