On 25/01/2006, at 10:57 , Robert Howells wrote:

On 25 Jan 2006, at 9:53 AM, Josh McKinnon wrote:

but the phones , all of them , need to be behind a filter or filters.

Although, if you are planning to use VoIP, then your setup will be somewhat different. In this case, your regular telephone handset will connect into a port on the router, with no filters.

Extending the discussion :
I have no first hand knowledge of VOIP but .....
I question whether a ... " regular " phone connects to the Router .

1. The normal phone connector is a different size connector ( although similar in appearance ) to that of Ethernet !

2. A regular phone needs 100ma of current to power its Transmitter circuit.
3.      The ringing circuit requires 17 Hz ring voltage to activate.

So this VOIP phone needs to be special for this function , it's a special Router , or there is a box in the middle
between the Router and a regular phone.

Yep, it's a special router: <http://tinyurl.com/9kezu>

I have a Belkin ATA VoIP adapter <http://tinyurl.com/9956u> The VoIP adapter has an inbound RJ-45 (ethernet) plug and two outbound RJ-12 (phone) plugs (so it supports two separate phone lines, though I don't think iinet offer that yet).

So my phone setup is ADSL Modem/Router----(ethernet)---->VoIP adapter---(phone cable)--->regular telephone

The Belkin ADSL/VoIP Router that iinet now sell combines the ADSL modem and VoIP adapter in the same box, and has outbound RJ-45 for ethernet and RJ-12 (x2) for telephone.

-josh