On 17/02/2006, at 9:18 AM, Martin Hill wrote:

Well it has finally happened after all these years of commentators crying
wolf.

The first bit of malware that attempts to spread itself to other Mac users has finally arrived on the scene. Note this is not technically a virus as many articles are saying but it is also not just a simple trojan as some Mac
users are saying.

 Check out this article at

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/02/17/leapafollow/index.php?lsrc=mwrss

It seems that the iChat exploit does not work over the Internet - only over Bonjour; and the ability to render Cocoa apps unlaunchable is restricted to those which are own by the user (i,e, by installed by drag and drop), not those which have been installed with an installer. It seems to have taken several hours of hard work for the author to get the trojan to do anything at all.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Fax (618) 9332 0913