Dear WAMUG'ers,

Can someone with experience in graphics give me some advice regarding
scanning old photos please?

I'm currently scanning all my old photos going back to the 50's at times.
The equipment I'm using are:

- Scanner/Printer Epson Stylus CX5300. Scan resolution is 1200 x 2400dpi,
Pixel Depth 24-bit (16.7 million colours) external, and 48-bit (281,474
billion colours) internal.
- G5 dual 1.8Ghz with 1.5 GB Ram
- OS X 10.3.9
- Epson Scan V1.27e

What I would like to know is the Resolution to which I should scan the
photos to obtain the best result. Considering that specially the colour
photos of the 70's to 80's are deteriorating, I want to preserve them before
more damage is done.

Also, is there a good application to touch the photos, without going to the
expensive solutions of the full blown Adobe Photoshop or similar. I do not
have much experience in using graphic software, and have only now started
using GraphicConverter which I find quite difficult to use knowing nothing
at all of the technical terms used in the graphics world.

Many thanks and regards,

Philippe