On 23/02/2006, at 9:10 AM, John Weekes wrote:

Hi All

We are currently using FileMaker Pro on our Office eMac..

There has been discussion on it's suitability for a PC.

To further the argument (discussion), does anyone know the comparative number of Records that can be stored on FileMakerPro, MS Access & AppleWorks databases ?

Based on say 6 fields, consisting of name, address, phone & email address etc, per Record.

You don't say what version of FileMaker, but there is a huge difference between Filemaker 7/8 and all previous versions. Rather than the number of records, the key thing is file size. In Filemaker 6 (and back as far as 3, I think), the maximum size a Filemaker file can be is 2 Gb, so the maximum number of records is whatever will fit within that space. With Filemaker 7, the maximum file size jumped to the order of terabytes (the number 8 is in my mind, but I'm not sure as I write this. It's very big, anyway) so the number of records becomes pretty much moot. You'll run out of hard drive space long before you fill the file with records.

In any case, regardless of the Filemaker version, with the structure of the file you describe (6 text fields) I seriously doubt you could fill a Filemaker file with records in a lifetime given normal use.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Fax (618) 9332 0913