Dear Friends

Thank you to all who responsed to my query about installing VirtualPC and Windows XP on my PowerBook. I spent a good part of the weekend doing it and am now able to say it is currently working. Judging from the comments below, which I have included for your interest, only time will tell if it remains stable.

I deleted the failed first installation of XP and tried again. It worked and was set up in just over an hour. Then in went Office XP, Publisher (you just *MUST* have Publisher on a Mac!), internet download of Firefox 1.5, location and installation of activeX plugin for Firefox (just to ruin its superb security - http://www.iol.ie/% 7Elocka/mozilla/plugin.htm#download), Macromedia Flash and Shockwave plugins, activeReader (for Teachers have Class PD - you see you must do all of this just to get your Mac set up for this Micro$oft PD for teachers), set up a shared folder, Drive Z so I can do all the stuff on my Mac side, using Office 2004 for Mac, oh yes I installed that too so now I run two parallel universes, except that I suspect one will skew off into a black hole!). Hey what about doing the pdPoint Powerpoint assignment using Keynote, then convert to Powerpoint, drag into the Windoze environment then send off to your on-line tutor? ;-) Put a picture of beautiful granddaughter on the XP desktop to remind me of another good reason why I am on this planet, install MovieMaker to compare with iMovie HD, then set it to download 41 security updates, service packs and other assorted stuff that Windows Update told me was needed.

I did update VPC to Version 7.0.2 as Ronni advised, even though the reviews on VersionTracker cautioned me against it. So far, no Kernel Panics!

Interestingly all print and internet connections are made via the normal Mac settings so internet access has been automatic, if not somewhat slower than expected.

Win XP isn't jumping for joy. It's a bit lethargic in fact, but it is working. Here's hoping.

Thank you again WAMUG, GMUG, MACED and eChalk friends.

Reg

Here are your responses.

________________________________________________________________________ ___________________

Having had fun in the past with Virtual PC, I'd suggest deleting and starting again. Good luck :)
If it fails the second time, you may need a new CD.
Greg Satti

I've set it up on IBooks, Emacs, G5 iMacs and older Imacs all running a variety of OS's from 10. 3 up to 10.4.5 using the DET disks. not had any trouble to date... I'd start again. You should be able to get a newer disk of WindoZe XP which will include SP2 for the cost of the media.
Mike McInerheney

I dont think you've done anything particularly wrong. Based on what you have said I would probably begin again. It may also pay to check if there could be any issues between VPC 7.0.1 and OSX 10.4.5. It does sound like a familiar scenario however, where on a perfectly good PC something goes fatal during an XP install and simply starting again with the same setup/configuration will work. What fun! My experience with VPC has shown me that Windows 2000 is 'slightly' better and/or faster than both 98 and XP, not that that will help you though :-( Good luck
Paul Kitchener

Seems you may need to update VPC to 7.0.2 for using in OSX10.4.5 Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac Version 7.0.2 Update This update is recommended for all users who are using Virtual PC for Mac Version 7.0 or 7.0.1. This update improves overall stability of Virtual PC and allows Virtual PC to run on Mac OS X Version 10.4.1 or later. <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/mac/download/misc/ vpc7_0_2.xml&secid=100&ssid=3&flgnosysreq=True>
Ronni (Rhonda Brown)

I've never heard a good word about virtual PC. Last trial I heard of it ran for a month then the machine crashed irretreviably. Maybe other MacEdders have had positive experiences? It would be good to hear some success stories.
Dave (David Hounsell)

Your Powerbook seems to have the same specs as mine. My Virtual PC runs XP Pro, but is still slow.
Bryan (Bryan R. Martin)