James,

I found a thread in the Apple discussions forum that covered this and provided a partial fix.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?forumID=759&threadID=150253

The fix is to rectify 'null' entries in Address Book, where a 'null' entry has the Company Name box ticked, but no company name. Fixing these up (by making sure a company name is present) saw the speakable item commands come back (on a G4 Powerbook).

I say partial solution however, as on my G5 iMac, there are no speakable items visible either. But the iMac has no files at all in the ~/Library/Speech/Speakable Items directory. No idea why not, this was factory installed with Tiger.

You suggestion about the factory master folder was good ... found the files at: ./System/Library/Speech/Recognizers/ AppleSpeakableItems.SpeechRecognizer/Contents/Resources/ SpeakableItems.app/Contents/Resources/GlobalCommandFiles

Hope copying these over fixes the G5.

Many thanks.

Glenn.