Phillippe

This may or may not be helpful in solving the Virex part of your problem.

I had difficulty accessing Virex eUpdate about 18 months ago.and asked Pica (the Virex agents) for help.

Part of their reply is as follows

This month McAfee seems to have changed what they are doing again and as such numerous customers are having similar problems to what you reported. This is because the ftp site that eUpdate uses to connect to and download the update from has not had the October nor the November definitions placed on it. As such eUpdate sees the September definitions which are already installed and thinks that it is up to date.

In order to overcome this issue there are a few options. The virus definition update file can downloaded from the McAfee website and then manually applied. The URL for this is below.

<http://www.networkassociates.com/us/downloads/updates/default.asp> Click on the text link "DATs" then click the "I Agree" button if prompted. At the following page select the text link "DAT File for Virex 6.x". (Approx 3Mb)

After the download has completed the file should then be automatically decompressed in to reveal a folder with the same name. Inside this are two files, a read me and the definitions file which has the Virex icon on it. Double click on this file to open Virex and then click update to apply the file. You will receive a message once this has been finished.

In order to obtain a new copy of Virex and/or update your virus definitions each month it is necessary to have a current Virex Perpetual License. Our records indicate that a boxed product of Virex is currently being used. These boxed shipped with either a one year or two year license included which enabled you to download definition updates for this period. At the end of this time it was necessary to obtain a Virex license renewal. Unfortunately this was never really made clear to customers nor adequately enforced until a few years ago.

The Virex License enables you to download the appropriate version of Virex for your current Operating System, to download the monthly virus definition updates and to download any software upgrades that are released during your license period.

This license is available from Apple resellers and directly from PICA Software. The current cost of the one year license is $85.00 including GST. Unfortunately there is no upgrade path available.

Please contact us if you have any further queries about Virex and/or the Virex Perpetual License.

Mairian Gildea
Software Support
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PICA Software Pty Ltd               ACN 053 857 275
22 Aintree Street                   Phone: +61 3 9388-9588
Brunswick East VIC 3057 Australia   Fax:   +61 3 9388-9788
Email addresses:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
World Wide Web:  http://www.pica.com.au
____.