Paul,

You may be able to get at them this way :

System Preferences -> Hardware : Cd's & DVD's ...
Look for    "  When you insert a Picture CD "   and select " ignore "

The camera should show up as a device like a hard drive on your desktop . You should then be able to find the index and select the photo's you want .

If you need to open the file try ... Open ...  in Apple's  Preview .

This is all presuming your photo's are in an acceptable format and the camera can be read by your OS .

The alternative is to take the memory card out of the Camera and find a reader that it will fit.

If you are still in trouble please tell the list what make and model Camera .

Bob