Severin,

>From Word Help (search "header and first page"):

Create a unique header or footer for the first page
1. If your document is divided into sections, click in a section or select
multiple sections you want to change.
2. On the View menu, click Header and Footer.
3. On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Document Layout .
4. Click the Layout tab.
5. Select the Different first page check box, and then click OK.
6. If necessary, move to the First Page Header area or First Page Footer
area in your document.
7. Create the header or footer for the first page of the document or
section.
If you don't want a header or footer on the first page, leave the header and
footer areas blank8. Move to the header or footer for the rest of the
document or section by clicking Show Next  on the Header and Footer toolbar,
and then create the header or footer you want.

I have also done a letterhead for my group to use where I have placed a full
page PDF document as a background picture on the first page.

BTW to edit the template document, open it directly, rather than making a
new document from the project gallery, then resave it as a document
template.

HTH,
John