I have a small ethernet network here at home and there's one bit [hubby] driving me to distraction. Everything working fine... performa 5400/180 8.6, iMac 333 9.1, G4 powerbook 867 10.3.9 and last iMac 450 10.3.9.

Unplug the 450 iMac and plug in iBook 700 10.4 and nothing, no ethernet connection. Could it be the plug in bit? Not sure so do what should have been done a while ago and get a wall socket, cut the end off and wire up... still nothing and now the iMac not connecting either. I'm tearing my hair out but still manage to ask him sweetly if he's sure he's wired the wall socket correctly...... apparently there's two wiring diagrams A and B and he's done A, perhaps he should try B?

B done and now the imac is back on board but still nothing from the laptop, time for drastic measures so up he comes to my office and the spare network cable i have here, plugs it in and instant connection. He goes to the room where the 333 iMac is unplugs it plugs his laptop in and connects again. So it is back to his desk, unplugs his iMac and tries the laptop again and again nothing?

Any suggestions anyone? PLEASE...

Yvonne