Hi Adrian,

I have a Sony DCR-TRV320E camcorder, so my Instructions might be a bit different.
Your DVD/TV setup & your Camcorder might be different than mine.

Are you using a i.Link cable (DV connecting cable) or a Audio/Video cable?
Is the Camcorder's Menu ...  DISPLAY set to LCD?

Below is how my Camcorder works, your Panasonic buttons might be a bit different.

1.If it's a i.Link cable, Connect this cable to DV IN/OUT on your Camcorder and DV IN/Out on your TV (With Digital-to-digital connection, video & audio are transmitted in digital form).

If it's a Audio/Video cable, connect this cable to Audio/Video ID-2 on your Camcorder & the other end which has a Red, white & yellow to the TV Audio/Video out.

2. Set your Camera to VTR

3. Press REC & the button on its right simultaneously, then immediately press the PAUSE button.

4. When your DVD is playing on TV .... press your Camera PAUSE button again,where you want to start recording from.

5. The picture from the TV appears on the LCD screen on Camera(if you have it open).

6. Press STOP on Camera when finished recording.

Hope you can understand this & you can get the DVD onto your camcorder, then it's easy, just import into iMovie.