Hi all

The story continues

Things worked before. Back then when I wanted to connect my G4 Power Mac to the net I simply plugged in the ethernet cable from the ADSL modem to the computer. When my son wanted to connect to the net via his iBook we took the ethernet cable out of my G4 Power Mac and connected it to the Airport Extreme base station via the Ethernet LAN port.

Now the kind people who responded to my question suggested that if we both wish to use the net, at the same time, then the ethernet cable should go from the ADSL modem to the base station's Ethernet WAN port. Then my son's iBook should be connected. Then for me to connect I should get a second Ethernet cable and connect my G4 Power Mac to the base station's Ethernet LAN port.

Well it don't work. So we are doing something wrong. Why is it that my son's airport enabled iBook works fine when the Ethernet cable is plugged into the LAN port but is dead as a dodo it is plugged into the WAN port? Fiddled around with Setup Assist and Admin Utility, but nothing happens. It just ends up saying it can not fix the problem and I should contact my provider. So we are back to using our original swapping cable arrangements. Had to run Setup again to change back to the LAN port, but things working fine.

What are we doing wrong? Why does the WAN port arrangement not work? Obviously missing something, but not sure what it is.

Regards Joe