The darkness is growing rapidly. I think I should probably turn the monitor off and disconnect it. But then, How will I start up the computer next time, because the start button is on the monitor?

I do have 2 monitors. The second one is one from the PC world. Will the start button on that take over the job of starting the computer if the first one is removed?

When I got the blinking monitor lights it turned out that the backlight for the bottom half of the screen had blown / gone / ceased to function. It's noticeably darker than the top half.

I've been living with it for about 6 months now (out of warranty, and no spare cash) and nothing too severe seems to have happened apart from the irritating blinking light and maybe a little eyestrain from the incongruously lit screen.

Using G4 tower dual 1 GHz, OSX 10.4.6

Cheers,

Callum