Hi Robin,

Had a similar problem with my wife's Fuji finepix S3500 using an XD card. The problem was that I had simply unplugged the usb cable without dragging the desktop icon to the eject button on the dock. The camera claimed that the card was not formatted. I plugged the camera back in and ejected the icon from the desktop. Problem solved.

I guess my suggestion is to go back through the steps you have already tried and wait to see if the icon appears on the desktop. It sounds like the card is waiting for the all clear from your powerbook.

Good Luck
Paul