HI Tim,

As a Senior Telstra Technical officer responsible for fixing " odd " faults,
some 25 years ago I was prompted to Test a " Flat " extension cord in
comparison with a " round " extension cord to ascertain the difference in
CROSSTALK .

The flat cable was absolutely " YUK " and responsible for all sorts of problems.

It amazes me that so much of it is seen in shops when I know it's design
can cause so much trouble.

So I am not surprised at your results. The " flat " cable is only good in one circumstance : that is when you absolutely have to run a cable under carpet in a foot traffic area .

All other times pick the round telephone cable or something like cat5 which
do have twisted wires inside the sheath of the cable.

Cheers

Bob