On 18/07/2006, at 8:02 AM, Derek Y-E wrote:

Hi WAMUG folks.

According to iiNet's support web page,

iiNet? ;-)

the correct SMTP mail server setting is in fact mailr.westnet.com.au
(not mail.westnet.com.au). Mail.westnet.com.au may still work... I recall Westnet changed this a little while ago...

http://support.westnet.com.au/al/12/1/article.asp? aid=2150&n=4&tab=search&bt=4n&r=7.935762E-02&s=1

According to Westnet's Global Roaming page

http://www.westnet.com.au/internet/additional/global.aspx

Mac might need to be using the iPass Dial Wizard.
The iPass Dial Wizard appears to be for dial-up access from locations other than WA or Aus?

Isn't Mac trying to gain access from Internet Cafes? Won't these generally be on broadband? If he is going through a cafe's broadband shouldn't he be using mail.westnet.com.au?

Westnet seems to be saying that mailr.westnet.com.au is only for use through the iPass software:

http://support.westnet.com.au/al/12/1/article.asp? aid=1590&n=1&tab=search&bt=4n&r=0.2371945&s=1
http://www.igs.net/services/ipass_howto.shtml

'iPass Mail Server
Mail / POP3 / SMTP / POST / Incoming and Outgoing: mailr.westnet.com.au
Username: Full email address (e.g. [EMAIL PROTECTED])
Password: Email Password'

'Mail Server
Mail / POP3 / SMTP / POST / Incoming and Outgoing mail.westnet.com.au'

I am on WN broadband and mailr.westnet.com.au doesn't respond to any pings, only mail.westnet.com.au
does.

This seems to imply to me that mailr.westnet.com.au only functions via dial-up.

I cant see why Westnet themselves haven't sorted this out for Mac. One long-distance call to support should fix this I reckon.

Dare I ask; what is wrong with using Westnet's webmail to access your emails while abroad?

With oat a doat Canadia must be a long way off, I hope Mac has a bit of the 'voyageur' aboot him!

HTH

Good luck
Paul