On 6 Aug 2006, at 10:08 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I have just bought a new modem DLink ADSL 4 ports all work but...
I have four machines that were working on my old modem but now two of them do not work on their existing wiring. I can sling a CAT 5 cable to each of them and they work . After exhaustive trying Okam's razor says the cables are broken... But nothing has really changed from the old wiring -except unplugging the cables. Any ideas?

All running 10.4
tom samson

Some Macs automatically sense whether they need a crossover cable and
make the internal adjustment to handle that ! Others do not have that facility built in .

Perhaps your new modem has either a lower level signal or
has the in/out lines reversed  ....??????
That should not happen ... but I would try a crossover just to see
whether that is the problem .

It may be that you have terminated your cat5 cables and plug the cable straight into
 the modem one end and the Mac at other end.

This is the time when you need to have at least one end on a plugable jack . The crossover cables are often red , whilst the normal cables are often grey or blue .

Bob