On 14/08/2006, at 2:38 PM, Paul Weaver wrote:

There are quite a lot of cheap external HD units formatted only for Windows. My son bought a Maxtor for his Windows machine today. I persuaded him to let me try it on the iMac OS X 10.3.9 It came up on the desktop OK and can
be opened, but will not allow transfer of files from the Mac.

Seeing as they are much cheaper than Mac compatible Maxtor models (if you can find them) I am wondering if anyone has reformatted one for Mac and what
is involved?

Yes, they can be formatted for Macs, Disk Utility will do the job for you.

You cant write to your son's because it may be formated as NTFS, Windows only basically.

If you want both Mac and Windows to use it, I believe if you need to use 'MS-DOS File System' Depending on the size of drive you use you may have to create some partitions as MS-DOS File System has a maximum partition size that I cant remember right now.
Disk Utility makes this easy. Try Help.

I shopped around till I found an enclosure at the right price and did the same for the drive itself and I saved a pretty penny. By memory I got a Western Digital 160GB for $100, I think the enclosure was around $50-60. Childs play to fit the drive in the enclosure(I left the too-bright LED disconnected;).

Good luck
Paul