Ug I've just had the same problem today with Word and its happened before.
Its random too, I've not installed Suitcase or anything similar it just
happens all of a sudden.

Ended up having to reboot the computer to be able to get Word to work again
(Entourage was fine, didn't try Excel).  Also using Office 2004, but the
fonts it was bringing up as corrupt were weird ones partly gobbeldy gook (at
least it was nothing listed in the Font Book..)  I am also running 10.4.7
(never happened before this update?)