Hi, there shouldn't be a problem opening Word documents from any source in Pages, Apple's present word processing programme, but you would find it much easier to have Office 2004, which is the most recent Microsoft version for the Mac, in terms of opening all sorts of office documents.

There is no 'works' equivalent for Macs now, its the full version, or stick with Apples ' iWork' package, which has two applications, Pages and Keynote (presentation software). The iWork package is much cheaper than buying Office, of course.

You won't need a separate translation programme in either case.

I'm not sure what will happen to your Appleworks documents - hopefully someone else on the list can help. It might be a good idea to translate them using Maclink plus to Office documents before trying to use them on your new machine. Sounds like it might be an idea to hang on to your old Mac until you are sure that everything works on the new one.

cheers, susan.