this certainly sucks,

surprisingly I only have to deal with 5 replacement batteries out of the macs I support but my guess across the university, including salary packaged units (which are legally university machines until payed out) there would be well in excess of 100 units.

we have the central IT department handling a bulk replacement though this might still take several weeks but at least it isn't, yet stated that they require the users to hand over their batteries prior to arrival of replacement units

as for problems with battery removed. most modern laptops (macs included) no longer have a CMOS/PRAM battery as this job is handled by trickling a current off the main battery.

hence the machines will lose setting such as date and time and revert back to thier default date settings (some time 2001 for the PowerBooks affected this round) this will affect a number of programs not the least e-mail.

a quick fix for this is to have the computer set to pick up its time from a WOrld Clock (in the date and time settings) so if the computer is on the internet you boot the computer up and login as usual then leave it for a few minutes while it syncs its date and time with the selected world clock before launching any applications (so may need to remove applications from login list if applicable)

I couldn't agree more Woz

Thomas was in Melbourne last week and found his PB battery was in the recall category. According to the Apple site I was reading, I thought he would be able to have a replacement battery sent and then do the exchange. But no, one of the Melbourne Apple dealers said that wasn't the way it was being organised for this recall and that he had to leave the battery with them and wait four to six weeks (!) for one to come in and then return to pick it up.

The PB has been doing all sorts of strange things now that it is minus the battery (don't know why) and it has to stay plugged in to the power supply. Incredibly annoying.

Totally illogical handling of what should be a simple exchange programme.

Wendy

 Wendy Austin & Thomas Oswin
Coastal Road
Pomponette via Surinam