At 7:27 PM +0800 9/9/06, Ronda Brown wrote:
On 09/09/2006, at 6:24 PM, Robert Howells wrote:

On 9 Sep 2006, at 6:00 PM, Mervyn & Giuliana Bond wrote:

At 4:52 PM +0800 5/9/06, Ronda Brown wrote:
On 05/09/2006, at 2:25 PM, Mervyn & Giuliana Bond wrote:

At 11:00 PM +0800 4/9/06, Robert Howells wrote:
On 4 Sep 2006, at 6:23 PM, Mervyn & Giuliana Bond wrote:

At 1:42 PM +0800 4/9/06, Robert Howells wrote:
On 4 Sep 2006, at 12:47 PM, Mervyn & Giuliana Bond wrote:

Yesterday I was presented with a Super Talent Ultra Flash USB 2.0 Flash Memory Drive of 1GB. The information cards says it is compatible with USB 2.0 or 1.1. The information cards also asserts 'Plug and Play and easy to use'. Well, not on my iMac G4 running OS X 10.2.8. Visited their website at www.supertalent.com and found a patch for 10.2.8. Downloaded but my Stuffit Expander wouldn't (v7.0). Downloaded Stuffit upgrade (8.0.2), appropriate for my system and unstuffed the offending file. Installed the patch. No joy. My wife's iBook running 10.4.7 can see it in DOS format or MacOS extended.
Any ideas or do I give my Father's Day gift to my wife?
Merv

1.  Hang on to it !

2. It's probably formatted in Dos or the likes ( Fat32 ? ) which is desireable if you are going from Mac to PC , but not necessary for just Mac . Mac can normally handle
        the Dos , but perhaps your Mac cannot .

So use the ladies Mac to reformat to HFS+ and then see if your Mac will look at it

Bob

Bob
Tried formatting to Mac OS extended on the iBook but my iMac still would not recognise it. On the iMac after using Disk Utility to format it (DOS or Mac) it appears on the screen. I can drag items to it and when it is plugged into the iBook the dragged files are available. Plugging back into the iMac it gives the message that there are no Mac OS volumes to read and my options are to ignore, eject or erase!! Ignoring produces nothing.

When setting up for erasing/reformatting in Disk Utility there is a line that says: Connection ID unknown. Any ideas at whether this is the problem? If so, what does one do?
Merv

Hmmmm !
I had a problem recently giving similar symptoms for a Hard Drive in OS9.2
that turned out to be an incorrect Mac ROM file in the System Folder .
There's a story to tell about how that happened !

It's important to match your hardware ( iMac Model ) and Firmware with your System software .

So the question is ,,,,, Have you the right version of OSX 10.2.8 for the Firmware
on your iMac ?

Can you boot into OS9.2  ?   Can you then see the Flash card ?

Since there was a special download for 10.2.8 , but not 10.3
what about upgrading to 10.3   ?

Bob

Checked on firmware updates - none required
Yes, when I boot from OS 9.2 the Flash is recognised.
Recent bits of software have made me consider going to 10.4 but my disk drive is for CDs only. Would have to purchase a CD version and then take all night to install!!
Are you finding OS 10.3.9 stable?
Merv

Hi Merv,

Just a thought ,,,You are plugging the drive into the iMac's USB port?
Don't use the keyboard's ports or ports on a USB hub, use ports on the iMac itself.
OSX 10.2.8 should be able to read a MS-DOS formatted USB Flash Drive.

Another thing ... are you ejecting it correctly from both the iBook & iMac 'File > Eject'.

You could also run the Update Combo 10.2.8
<http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxupdatecombo_10_2_8.html>