Jude

If the G3 is getting an IP address from the modem using DHCP you will see
this in the network preference in system preferences.  It should be
192.168.xxx.xxx.  If it is 169.xxx.xxx.xxx then it's not getting an IP
address. You can check by pinging the modem using the Network Utility.

If the G3 isn't getting an IP address then you can assign one manually.  It
just has to be in the same IP subnet as the modem so, somehow, you need to
find out the IP address of the modem.  You could do this by checking what IP
address you get on your laptop and also note down the address of the default
gateway - this will be the modem's address.  Then choose an address in the
same range eg. if the modem's address is 192.168.1.1 then choose something
like 192.168.1.180 - the subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0 and the default
gateway would be the modem's address, in this case 192.168.1.1.  Then try
pinging the modem and then try connecting to a web site etc.

Once you've got all this working you can apply the 10.2.8 update.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Greg