As part of the shipment I am sending to a school in Zimbabwe I have been donated a 5300c laptop. The machine works fine, but the plastic frame holding the screen has come apart with a gap on the hinge end and a gap at the bottom of the screen. Squeezing the frame together reseats it fine, but it will not stay in position. I am guessing that some plastic retaining clips have been broken off in a fall?????

Any ideas on repairing this frame?

Actually it's a design fault that plagued the 5300 for most of its life.

One solution I've seen people use is to pass packing tape through between the screen and the body of the machine, squeeze the screen together and then squish the packing tape on to hold it together.

I was always somewhat careful when closing/opening mine to support the base of the screen properly.

http://www.lowendmac.com/pb2/5300.shtml

Have fun,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  The love of liberty is the love