A strange curiosity I was printing (from firefox) to a pdf but using the
compress pdf option - as usual the dialog box came up for me to set a file
name & save location - unfortunately I had a senior moment and forgot how I
was naming so I went to finder (via the dock) to check what I'd named the
last pdf and here's where I had the problem:

- I couldn't find the Save Window again - it wasn't listed under the window
menu (from Firefox, preview or finder)

- I tried to repeat the process but found that after selecting compress pdf
the progress bar showed briefly (as usual) but the Save Window didn't
appear.

- I could still save as PDF but the compress as pdf was obviously hung up.

- I noticed that "compressing pdf image" (or similar) was showing in the
menu bar with the spinning clock type icon (like loading a web page) - there
was also a red dot next to it but clicking that just gave an error chime.

- I tried quitting Firefox and Preview but the menu bar still showed the
dialog/icon I even quit Entourage - no rationale other than its microsoft
software ;o)

- I even tried relaunching finder (the only application left running) but no
joy.

So.... I hit Restart, the dektop disappeared, clear blue screen and then
there it was - the missing save window, still grimly hanging on but at last
forced into the open! So I hit cancel in the window and the restart
proceeded and that was that.

I'm just wondering though - shouldn't there have been something I could have
done to bring the window back to the screen without restarting the computer
or presumably the "compress pdf" is some sort of hidden application (bad
terminology but you know what I mean) that I should be able to select and
force quit (or the equivalent).

Not a major problem but I am curious!

Cheers

Neil