Hi all,

A little problem that's not serious but a real pain!

Having read an article that creating an encrypted disk image was a good way
to keep documents secure, I created one and put some files into it.

This all went well, and the disk image mounted and unmounted OK. Initially,
I had set up the disk password as my log-in password - so if I was logged
into my account, I just double-clicked the .dmg file to mount the disk.

This all seemed to work well for a while, until I noticed that OSX would
just mount the disk, from time to time, without my launching it. I could
just eject it to unmount, without problem - but then later I would notice
that it had been mounted again.

I decided that I would change the password and unchecked the "remember
password" box, so that it would not mount unless I input the password.

The trouble now is that OSX still keeps wanting to mount the disk and
prompts me for my password - at annoyingly frequent times.

I thought the problem might be spotlight wanting to index it so, with the
disk mounted, I opened the Spotlight privacy prefs and dragged the disk
image to the list. However, instead of the name appearing on the list there
was the "smoke puff" like when you drag an icon from the dock and the disk
was no longer listed in the finder window sidebar - though it was still
listed with the other volumes if I clicked the computer icon in the sidebar.

I have verified all disks, including the disk image, and repaired
permissions - but the problem remains.

I can't see the pattern as to what triggers the need to mount - I can just
click "cancel" and everything proceeds as normal but it is VERY annoying.

Any body got any idea as to WHY OSX wants to mount it? And/or hw to stop it.

TIA

Neil
-----
Neil R. Houghton