Janis

No surprises here really.  The problem is almost certainly the "Ethernet
coupler".  I suggest removing it and plugging the Airport back into the
single cable.  If it works without the "coupler" then that's the problem.
If you need to move the Airport further from your ADSL/Cable modem then I
suggest a longer cable and not a coupler.

Try pinging the ADSL modem from your Mac to see if the Airport has a
connection to the DSL modem.

Regards

Greg