Hi all,

THANKS for the time and explanations of my Cable query.

> 12) Re: Cable Broadband
>     by Adam Hewitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> 17) Re: Cable Broadband
>     by Martin Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Adam's explanation was really helpful - there appears to be a high
likelihood my existing wireless 4 port ADSL router and network will just
plug in to a cable modem with an ethernet cable and need a few tweaks.

And Martin's essay was truly breathtaking :-)
And here was me thinking the ISP's were trying to confuse us with big
numbers!   Oh, and thanks for your faith Martin, I DID mean to type 8 bits
to a byte, not 6 bits to a byte.

Martin, I guess my 11082 (Kbps.) translates to 11.082 Mbps and therefore is
a whole lot better than your 1.3Mbps, so by the sound of it I'm pretty well
off and should stay quiet and have a nice warm glow of satisfaction!

Thanks Bob for the off list comments and searching to try to find answers.

So summarising what I have figured out - as far as the net connection goes,
I really might as well stay with what I have. The cable costs $59.95 per
month and I'll get the same speed, give or take a hot breeze, as what I'm
getting on the iinet DSLAM at $39.95 per month.

My decisions to switch to Telstra will now rest on the rest of the package,
but at least I understand the impact on my Mac centric network.

Ta
Tim