Hi all,

Quick follow up to my earlier note, I've been in touch with Westnet and they helped me log in to and reconfigure my ADSL modem to use the G.DMT protocol (the modem was on Automatic). This increased my sync speed (a lot), and I was able to download a file from the Westnet download vault at ... 760KB/sec ... or in equivalent terms to my 8Mb plan ... 5.94Mb (do the math :)

.... 2007 is the year of the packet engineer :)

In lay terms, I'm paying for an 8Mb plan from Westnet, and have proved to myself I can get 5.9Mb of that in good conditions (which I am Ok with, perhaps if I was right next to the exchange I might go looking for the rest of my 8Mb). And everything does seem faster. So I'll withdraw my suspicions about the value of the faster plans.

By the way, according to the Westnet tech the switch to G.DMT isn't Westnet specific. So I'll try this on my home router as well. Maybe if you're on ADSL and *not* getting what you think is a reasonable connection speed, perhaps revisit your modem setup with your ISP's tech support and ask about G.DMT.

Regards,

Glenn.
PublicityShip.