Some ideas:

* Run Applications/Utilities/Console.App and look for any problems or repeated messages in console.log or system.log.

* Run memtest from http://memtestosx.org/ from single user mode overnight

* Create a new 'Clean' user and see if the problem persists for that user. If not then it probably means it's something you've installed for your 'unclean' user that's causing the problem.

* Disconnect any peripherals other than Apple mouse and keyboard and see if the problem persists.

* Check the disk with DiskWarrior http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

* Upgrade the OS to Tiger (you can probably find cheaper copies these days or wait until Leopard's out :)

Have fun,
Shay