While I appreciate Ronni's caution about nothing is ever completely free,
Mobik is quite upfront about their business model - the SMS's are free to
send because they attach a paid ad to each one they send. If they do not
have a "sponsor" for a particular area then you can't send a free SMS to
that area. See:
<http://www.mobik.com/coverage.htm>

So, at present, Australia is well covered but you couldn't use Mobik to send
an SMS to the UK or to USA.

Assuming you believe what they say on their website, they give their privacy
policy here <http://www.mobik.com/privacy.htm>

Note: I haven't actually used them - I just followed up the reference from
Alexia and the info was all there so it seemed unreasonable to assume
nefarious practices ;)

Cheers

Neil
--