Hey Merv

Common problem, bit of a mistake on Apple's part but it happened after the
software was released..

It's a bit technical but open Activity Monitor which is located in
Applications >> Utilites.

Once open look in the list for a 'Process Name' called iTunes_Helper.

Click this and then click 'Quit Process' in the top of that window.

Close the program and try installing iLife again.

The Reason?
iTunes Helper was added with iTunes 6 a few years ago, where iTunes 04 only
installs iTunes 5 I believe, the upgrade (downgrade) iTunes it needs to be
completely closed and it won't do it. (Make Sense??) When installing just
make sure you don't install iTunes because you'll have a newer version then
what the CD will provide.

Thanks, David Moyle
Bertram, Western Australia
Mb: 0427 888 257