10.45 pm Sat nite.

We have a DVD stuck in a MacBook.  The disk won't eject, dragging it to
the trash brings up a dialog box suggesting quitting applications - but
as far as I can tell nothing besides the Finder is running.  I have only
just started using OS X.

The machine won't restart, shut down or log out.  The physical switch on
the machine also won't work.

Anyone have any ideas?
Bill Chesnutt

Close the lid and see if it goes to sleep. If it does, see if you can wake it up then restart it.

Alternatively try holding the power button down for 5 seconds or so and see if the machine shuts down.

Try holding down the eject button at the top left of the keyboard. Try the eject button in iTunes.

Try logging out, then shutting down and holding down the mouse button whilst the machine reboots.

Worst comes to worst, unplug the MacBook and pull the battery out.

Good luck,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  There are many worlds and many