Adam Hewitt wrote:
 Hi All,

I have trouble streaming video via my wireless LAN to my MacBook. The videos are stored on my windows PC running Vista and streamed over an 802.11G connection. The video will typically play for about 3-5 minutes and then pause for 30-45 seconds. If I play them via the wired LAN they play fine. The files are usually about 350Mb are DivX or Xvid and are TV shows I have...errm....recorded to my windows PC using my TV to Hard drive broadband internet convertor :o/

I had assumed that this was due to the bandwidth of the wireless not being good enough to view the files that I am trying to view (without the constant rebuffering), however one of my mates came over the other day and he reckons that he has no problems viewing similar files over his wireless LAN. Oh and my wireless signal strength is perfect and no one else is using the wireless while I am attempting this.

Does anyone know if this would be caused by the wireless connection or if there is something amiss with my setup? I couldn't find anywhere in the quicktime config to change bandwidth settings or similar.

Apple Menu -> System Preferences -> QuickTime -> Click the "Streaming" tab and choose the streaming speed. Alternatively you may just want to leave it on Automatic. You could also choose a longer start delay which means that more movie will be buffered before starting (and hence less chance of 'running out' of buffered movie, then having to wait for more).

Also, try using VLC as your streaming client http://www.videolan.org/

Check if your base station is set to be 802.11b and g compatible, and change it to use 802.11g only if you (and friends who visit :) are only using 802.11g.

Have fun,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  The love of liberty is the love