In addition, DVD players currently sold in Australia (and for the past 18-24 months or so) must be multiregional.

I'm not aware of being able to detect region coding by looking at the disc itself, but if it's a legitimate (store bought movie / tv series / music etc.) DVD on the back cover of the case down the bottom along with the copyright information, running time and such, there's a tiny icon of a globe with a number in it which indicates which region it's from.

As Jude says, the actual video format will be more of a hassle than the region coding these days. Again, most modern DVD players account automatically for PAL and NTSC without the user being aware of the difference, but some older televisions won't display them properly.

Cheers!

Callum

The region code won't be inserted unless you do it on purpose. It's really a form of copyright protection that is used to control when and where things are released.

You may need to think about PAL vs NTSC though, unless he is going to play the DVD on his computer.

cheers
Jude

Is a DVD that I burn from my DVD recorder a Region 4? Likewise, what region comes out of iDVD or Toast 8 and my G5? Is there a way to look into a disk and find the region? The only way I can think of is by forcing a region change in my computer and see what reads, but no way for that? Arises from request to send an off- air recording made here(region 4 probably) to a friend in Canada (region 1).
Severin Crisp
                   Assoc Professor R Severin Crisp, FIP, CPhys, FAIP
       15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia.
                    Phone  (08) 9842 1950   (Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
                            email  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                          Web pages http://www.JennyCrisp.com.au
                             & http://members.westnet.com.au/Crisp