Details for file extension: DOCX - Word Microsoft Office Open XML Format Document (Microsoft Corporation)

Office Word is an authoring program that gives you the ability to create and share documents using a set of writing tools. This is the new upcoming format for Microsoft Office documents. It is a combination of XML architecture and ZIP compression for size reduction. Microsoft promises the format will be open (published for anyone to use) and prior versions of Office, using components provided by Microsoft for Office 2000, XP, and 2003 will be available to perform document conversion. Remember that these are promises by Microsoft. We have yet to see the actuals. This format is not the same as the OpenDocument standard, also an XML-based standard being developed as a true open standard (see the OpenDocument Fellowship for more information).

                      Regards,
                      Eugene

NeoOffice now apparently supports Office 2007 Word documents, not that anyone's sent me one yet :)

http://neooffice.org/

I believe as Microsoft is dropping visual basic support on the Mac it may be a way forward for those who require Excel Macros (and don't want to rewrite them in Applescript :)

Have fun,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  The love of liberty is the love