in the info it state that it is hayes compatible, that means you can use a number of other modem scripts to control the modem, most of the features (i assume) are set to auto, so the modem will negotiate the connection speed and you just set the speed to 128k or 230k in the control panel (as long you have scripts which check the usb port)
if you get the manual as well you could write your own driver/script