David Moyle wrote:
Interesting?

I pose a question to you then..

With Sony having to recall batteries for every laptop manufacturer except
themselves.. Was this an actual hardware fault, or a firmware fault telling
the hardware todo something incorrectly?

Interested to hear your response!

I do not know much about the Sony battery packs, there are numerous things that could have been a problem, ie battery chemistry (eg wrongly mixed components (eg too much lithium)) bad hardware design, or faulty firmware.

Even faulty firmware can cause damage to batteries that will be permanent and even cause batteries to explode and or catch fire ( when I was designing battery charging and protection systems for Li* batteries, I used to encase the batteries in a vented 13 ply box with fibreglass to contain any explosions or fires (and yes I had firmware lock-ups that caused high charge currents that caused batteries to at least catch fire and occasionally explode))

Most people do not realise the problems with charging and discharging (as in using) modern battery chemistries. It is not like the older technologies where you just whack them in and use them un protected.

--
Regards,

Kat.