Greg
I had a problem with an Epson Stylus C61 where it printed black horizontal lines through everything.
The head clean routine and new cartridge did no good.
Eventually I made a document of black text and printed about 12 pages straight. The lines got lighter just after halfway and then cleared. In your case if you create a document with colour as well as black and do a multiple page run it might just work.
Merv