Hi Rob

My tip to take away your pain is - use the USB cable.  I was delighted to
find my powerbook (G4 1.67GHz) recognised my Nokia E61 when I plugged it in.
Make sure you select PC Suite when the phone asks you which mode to use.
You will probably have to get Telstra to tell you the username or number to
dial.  I had 3 tell me.  They will probably tell you Macs aren't supported
but just get them to tell you the manual settings for a PC and fill those
details in on your Mac.  You will use Internet Connect to configure these
details.

Hope that helps

Regards

Greg

P.S. You should be using the 3G capabilities of the E61 (HSDPA or UMTS) not
GPRS - this will give you 300kbps+ (I got up to about 460kbps)