On 22/05/2007, at 8:57 PM, Michael Anderson wrote:

A family member in Melbourne has a Bigpond Cable modem and they have now come across to the enlightened side - purchased a current iMac. However they cannot get Mail operating. They can access the internet via Safari.

Apparently the Apple person who sold them the iMac installed Parallels, which they have been using via Outlook for mail.

I ask them to quit Parallels.

We have set up new mail POP account via Mail preferences. However they keep getting a request for password, which they complete without success.

Hi Michael,

If you are sure the Mail POP account has all the correct settings, and the password is correct.

1. Quit Mail

2. Open Keychain Access which (if it's not showing on the top Menu of the desktop) is in Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access.app and manually delete the Keychain entry for the mail account.

3. Restart Mail and it will ask for the Mail account's password again, type in the password and tick
'Remember this password in my keychain'.

Now the password should be stored correctly and Keychain access will do the email password in the "background" when you check for new mail.