Sorry to go off-topic here, although there is a computer-related issue at the end of all this.

I'm hoping WAMUG members may have some information and/or experience with installing and using individual residence renewable grid- connected power systems. I'm looking at putting the largest solar array I can afford on our roof (4 or 5 kW) to both supply our own electricity needs and sell back excess to the SW grid when the sun is shining, and purchase energy as needed when the sun is not out/at night.

We live in Albany (where despite myth the sun shines quite a lot) on a due north-facing hillside with over 100 square metres of roof area angled at 20 degrees, so the physical circumstances are positive. We already practice such energy reduction strategies as a 6-person household with a keen interest in electrical gadgetry comfortably support, but more work can be done on this. High energy demand activities such as cooking and hot water are supplied by gas (solar hot water is next on the upgrade list).

As some of you will know, a government rebate of 50% of the ex-GST cost of qualifying systems makes this worth considering (although don't do it just on economic grounds since because we don't pay the real impact cost of electricity you will grow very old and grey waiting to recoup all your outlay - we are doing this as a "walking the talk" greenhouse gas reduction initiative.) - there is a lot of information at http://www1.sedo.energy.wa.gov.au/pages/funding_rrep.asp
and info on Synergy's buyback scheme at
http://www.synergyenergy.com.au/pdf_documents/Support_Documents/ RENEWABLE_ENERGY_BUYBACK_SCHEME_%28REBS%29_INFORMATION_PACK.pdf

What I want to know is if anyone is prepared to share their experience - any unanticipated problems, unexpected costs, and what user experience is like of installation, commissioning, and using such a system? A particular question is the relative "inertness"/ safety of the materials used in the manufacture and mounting of the array with respect to water, as we collect all the water that falls on our roof for domestic consumption, including drinking and cooking. No worries with supply (it rains a lot down here, even with climate change trends) but we do want to ensure that the water is safe.

And the computer connections? The smart inverters used to convert and control the electricity generated have an output to a data logger and computer so you can track performance, output, trends, efficiency etc in all kinds of classy graphs, charts etc. As well I am thinking of smart programming to control shut down of non-essential electricity outlets in the event of grid blackouts, thus prolonging the battery bank life for essentials such as lighting and refrigeration.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tony Evers

Community Mental Health Educator
"Supporting The Transition To Parenthood"

PO Box 5075
Albany WA 6332
ph 08 9844 6317
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Take a moment to consider - am I confusing wants with needs?