The problem with faulty paper feed has been fixed. When I dismantled the printer I found one central pickup roller of approx 20mm in diameter had lost its rubber 'O' ring. It was easily threaded back on and now I should look at getting a few more from a mate as they are the simplest printer which take standard Canon inks.

The local bulk ink supplier tells me that if I mix and match inks and they will definitely wreck the printer. Today I loaded canon inks into another brand printer and it is printing very well. I shall report back if/when the inks wreck my printer.

Thanks for your help.

Kev