Mart,

Thanks for the tip about shifting the tool bars in MS Word to the sides of
the screen. I've decided to postpone any decisions about a replacement until
late August, just in case new iMacs are released by then, and if they have
been I'll think about putting the PowerBook out to pasture for use away from
the office and slip a  slinky new iMac onto the desk in the office.

Are laptops like cars or other machines with seals - do they deteriorate if
not used?

Regards,

Michael.